New Tax Benefit for Donors
Starting with the 2020 tax year (filed in 2021), families who do not itemize deductions can still get a small tax benefit for donating to nonprofits. A donation will reduce your adjusted income by up to $300 before estimating how much tax you owe. For example, if you donate $500 to OCP, and your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $75,500, you can claim $300 of the $500 off your AGI, and you will only pay tax on $75,200 of income, saving you about $75 in taxes.
Our Community Place Needs Your Support
You Can Also Donate Through Mail--which saves OCP the cost of online fees
Make checks payable to…
Our Community Place
17 East Johnson Street
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Want to Know How Your Money Makes a Difference?
As a regular or one-time donor, you are partnering with us to promote personal growth and community well-being.
Here are some things that your partnership is providing for the community.
- $22 pays for internet access for a week for people completing job applications and public benefits applications online.
$55 pays for one person to eat for a month at OCP.
- $200 pays for OCP to take community members on quarterly field trips to Todd Lake, Mulligan mini-golf, Blackfriars pay-as-you-will plays, bowling, and much more.
- $660 pays for laundry costs for one year for 600 loads of laundry!
- $800 pays the electrical costs for our walk-in refrigerator for one year.
- $2,300 pays for OCP’s propane bill (for cooking and hot water for about 330 showers) for one year.
- $3,000 pays for OCP’s vehicle insurance and maintenance costs for our boxtruck, which we use to pickup furniture donations and move people into new appartments; our pickup, used for work around the building; and our volvo, used by case managers and volunteers to take people to shop for items for their new apartment or to take people to UVA for medical appointments. All vehicles were donated or obtained through grants.
Our Community Place is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
- You can view our 990 Form and verify our non-profit status through GuideStar. We also post our most recent Form 990 on this website.
- OCP passes through an annual financial review, performed by independent auditing firm Beachy & Arehart. Available upon request.
- The Board of Directors of OCP, all volunteers, review and approve the annual budget, and perform financial reviews at each monthly board meeting.
Any information supplied to Our Community Place (OCP) by donors will be used solely to fulfill their donation and shall not be shared for any reason unless permission is granted by the donor to share such information. All requests to remain anonymous shall be honored. OCP does not sell or share donor lists. Donors who supply OCP with their postal address or email address may be contacted periodically for solicitation purposes and/or with information regarding upcoming events. Donors may request to be permanently removed from OCP’s mailing list by contacting us via email, phone or postal mail. All requests to be removed from OCP’s mailing list shall be honored.