Job Title: Case Manager
Location: Our Community Place, Harrisonburg, VA
Job Type: Full Time Grant-Funded Position
Our Community Place (OCP) is a nonprofit human services organization located in Harrisonburg, VA. OCP is known as an amazing place to work—a dedicated and fun team, great management support, and meaningful work with a challenging marginalized population. Our mission is to build a safe, loving community of restoration and hope for all, especially those facing homelessness and other adverse experiences. OCP’s vision is to be a community of hope that breaks down barriers and creates a safe, empowering environment where people can achieve their life goals, including joy, positive relationships, affordable housing, and sustainable work.
Position Description: OCP seeks an organized, energetic, quick-learning, deeply motivated, and creative team player to serve as Case Manager, who can function in a flexible way in a challenging work situation with people with histories of homelessness, trauma, mental illness, and substance addiction. As part of the management team, the Case Manager will work with our community members (clients) to help them meet their needs. Our population incudes persons who are chronically homeless, have developmental trauma, suffer from addictions, and other challenges. This is a one-year grant funded position with the possibility of longer-term funding. If the candidate has 2+ years of professional experience in case management and a BSW degree, they will also be responsible for supervising a social work practicum student.
Required skills and resources:
- Case management skills and knowledge, particularly in how to access public housing, Medicaid, employment, and other resources for our community members.
- Ability to function in a high-stress environment, with a high level of compassion and flexibility.
- Strong computer literacy; must have a smartphone and experience using apps; experience using googledocs a plus.
- Driver’s License required, car and willingness to help transport people required (we reimburse for mileage at $0.50/mile).
- Strongly preferred but not required:
- Social worker (BSW or MSW) with 2+ years professional experience strongly preferred, but not required.
- Training and work in mediation, social work ethics, housing assistance, resolution of conflicts, trauma informed care, substance abuse treatment, or mental health treatment, will be a plus.
Hours, Compensation, and Benefits: 40 hours a week Monday through Friday. Hours are generally 9am – 5pm, but once a week may require coming in early or leaving late, and occasional weekend hours to help with organizational fundraising events (our compensatory time off policy covers extra hours worked). This is an exempt, salaried position. Compensation dependent on experience (range: $27,000 – $30,000). Generous vacation time (4 weeks, accrued on a monthly basis) plus health and mental health leave (2 ½ weeks). No health or retirement benefits.
Length of time for position: The position is not permanent at this point. Funding is guaranteed through 2020, but will be contingent on additional fundraising or grants for salary in 2021.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter addressing points made in this job announcement and why you would be a strong candidate, to [email protected]. For more information about OCP, see our website at OurCommunityPlace.org.